We are revelling in the news that the Marlborough Farmers’ Market will be one of the culinary experiences recommended in the Lonely Planet Gourmet Trails book published in November.
The guide will cover “40 gourmet weekends” across Australia and New Zealand with each trail featuring a blend of food producers, farmers’ markets, restaurants and cafes, wineries and breweries, all combining to create a weekend-long itinerary.
Our market has grown substantially since its beginnings in 2001. Produce includes just about all the foods you need for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every week we receive positive comments about the selection and atmosphere. It’s fantastic that this is also resonating with the Lonely Planet.
The Marlborough Express has been celebrating the occasion with us, with this news story.
Right now, organisers of the Outstanding NZ Farmers’ Market are searching for the country’s most outstanding Farmers’ Market. You can help others discover your local market by voting for us here.
This week we have a number of stalls returning and new produce arriving: new season corn, Yumyeong, nerines, Heavens Scent apples and Windsong’s omega plums are ripe.
Pinoli Pine Nuts, Minghettis, and the Vegetarian Butcher return this Sunday, but Long Acre Farm will be away for a fortnight. Natural Microgreens are moving to the Northern end of the Sheep Pavillion.
See you Sunday, 9 til noon, rain or shine
News from our stall holders
- Omega plum lovers. Find this late season variety now at Windsong Orchard. The fruit is medium sized, with divine red juicy flesh.
- Pinoli is back with popular pine kernels. Did you know Pinoli selected the Mediterranean stone pine (Pinus pinea) for their orchards because it is the most sought-after pine nut in the culinary world? It is a beautiful tree, tough and resilient to dry and sunny climates, and very adaptable to cultivation. Stone pine has a long and sustained history of usage throughout Europe over thousands of years.
- Jill Abernethy will be back with bunches of pretty Nerines at the community table this Sunday.
- FRUT4ULOWES ORCHARD will have Peacharines, Yumyeong white flesh, firm Peaches, Olde Worlde white flesh, soft Peaches, Bon Chretien Pears, Cox Orange, Royal Gala, Pac Beauty and Gravenstein Apples plus Apple Juice.
- Minghettis returns with a special Hemp and Chia seeds Magnum and the Swiss brioche with organic “Windsong” blueberries & almond filling, wow, and their full range of wholemeal Sourdough.
- Microgreens are moving to a new location, at the Northern end of the Sheep pavilion with a selection of nutritious mixes, and the last of the early variety William Bon Cretien Pears, NZ Spinach, and whole walnuts.
SharpAs Tool Tips
The start of Autumn signals the start of another busy time in the garden and it’s an ideal time to get all those tools sharpened and ready. Did you know, SharpAs does a full range of garden tool sharpening?
Chainsaws, mowers, secateurs, handsaws (the hardened hand saws can be sharpened), spades, grubbers, edging tools, loppers, powered hedge trimmers, hand hedge trimmers, weeding tools and more. If you have a tool that needs sharpening bring it along to the market and get it sharpened for the busy times ahead.
Although menus forever change, one thing is for sure, our food stalls serve up tasty breakfasts and brunches every week.
The Gourmet Deli has sent us this week’s breakfast & brunch menu:
- Poached eggs, bacon, avocado on an English muffin with pickles & vegetarian option $10
- Bacon. Sausage, whole egg, tomato Texan muffin style with plum sauce zero carbs Keto / GF $10
- Roasted plum shortcake
- Carrot sheet cake
- Custard and rhubarb pie pots
- Scotch eggs GF
- Popular pork pies
Recipe of the week
Curtesy of Salt and Serenity, spotted on Cranky Goat’s social media page.
Bonus: The items marked with an asterix are all at the market.
Makes 8 skewers
- 8 long (12 Skewers 8 long (12 inch) rosemary skewers * (no need to soak) (or wooden bamboo skewers)
- 5 medium zucchini, washed *
- 2 packages haloumi cheese *
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil *
- ½ teaspoon Marlborough sea salt *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup Italian parsley leaves, loosely packed *
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed *
- Zest of 1 lemon 3 Tablespoons lemon juice (from about 1 lemon) *
- 1 clove garlic, grated or crushed *
- 2 teaspoons honey *
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil *
Download the full instructions here.